Friday, April 13, 2012

Up Up in the Air

Vacation Day 1

Joe and I asked the kids before Christmas to make plans for their spring break in April and well, they just never got around to it so Joe and I thought it was high time we went somewhere together sans kids so this is what they get for not planning ahead. After some discussion (see kids, this is how you're supposed to plan a vacation), we decided on northern California. Joe flew there and back every two weeks for almost 2 years so he is quite familiar with the area and I have never been, so it seemed like the perfect trip.

Our day started at 2am (Central Time). We were packed and left the house at 3:15am for Milwaukee. One nice thing about driving in the middle of the night is light traffic. We were at the airport by 4:15, parked in long term parking, took the shuttle to the terminal and were through security by 4:45am. You gotta love priority tickets. The flight left at 6am (10 minutes late) and the sun was just rising. The sky was beautiful. I wish I could say the flight was a nice one but we had turbulence the entire way. So, we didn't get anything to drink or eat all the way to Denver. Up until this point, the furthest point west I have ever been is Texas so I was quite pleased to tick off a new state visited (even if we were just connecting).

The next leg of the journey from Denver to Sacramento was much smoother and we even got a chance to have something to eat. We landed in Sacramento at 10am (local time, noon Central time). Joe told me that the weather is typically dry and sunny. Yeah, sure. It was foggy and had rained. It seems like we were still home. So, we've been awake 8 hours with 2 hours sleep the night before and frankly I was ready for a nap. We got our SUV rental, stopped for some lunch and then we were away on our adventure. Joe showed me all the places where he had worked and some interesting sights along the way. Things are still nice and green here but Joe tells me they dry up and die later on so the scenery was beautiful.

We've decided to stay in Newark (Silicon Valley area) for the next couple of days and do some exploring. It's only 6:30 and Joe is fast asleep on the bed and I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open so I somehow doubt we'll get out to eat tonight. The Twizzlers will have to do.

I've attached pictures I took with my camera phone so they aren't very big. I'll have to start taking more with my camera.

I'm not sure what is on the agenda for tomorrow so stay tuned.

Highlight of the day

I absolutely loved flying over the mountains. This is the first time I have ever seen the Rockies (even if they are the ones south of the border) It was breathtaking.

 Crop Circles????
Look at the View

 That's a spot on the window



We got an SUV but then forgot about the price of gas.




 I love these rolling green hills
 Joe has had coffee here several times so we had to stop by
I just couldn't resist. San Jose

2 comments:

  1. Great start for your blog and I get to be the first to leave a comment. Will be looking for updates.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well whodathunk it that the old man would get ahead of me...have a blast guys..enjoy your vaca sans kids!!!!! will be watching for updates...

    ReplyDelete